Can You Balance the Federal Budget Better than a Politician?
Think you can balance the federal budget? Budget Hero turns you into the budget czar. Wade through the budget with the swagger of a trailblazer. Hack away at government pork and make your own decisions about health care, military spending, or environmental protection. Choose one to three “badges” that reflect your political values. Then try to earn these badges by choosing from more than 70 policy options. The game is built on the Congressional Budget Office model, which incorporates pro and con arguments for each policy, drawn from dozens of sources, and vetted to ensure the game is nonpartisan. See how long it takes before your budget goes bust and share your results with friends via Facebook or Twitter. Keep an eye out for a special Election Edition to be released this fall!
What Does The Game Teach Us About Players' Policy Preferences?
Budget Hero Weekly Report: See what we’re learning from the data
Budget Hero News
- DC 12th Graders Seek to Be Budget Heroes on Eve of Presidential Election
- Budget Hero Game Lets Students Balance Federal Budget
- Political Perceptions: Budget Cutting, the Videogame
- Presidential Game Time
- 30 Issues Follow Up: Budget Games
- Another game for Congress to play
- Think You Can Balance the Budget? Here's Your Chance
- Coloradoans Debate Budget Hero at Event Hosted by Senator Udall
- High School Honors Students Play/Debate Budget Hero
- As Supercommittee Deadline Nears, Budget Game Gives Public Chance to Be Heroes
- Students Debate Budget Through Online Game
- LMU Students Play
- Computer Game Lets You Be a Budget Hero
- LA Chamber of Commerce’s President and CEO shares blog post chamber membership
- Games for Change Blog: A Game About Debt We Should Play
- Understanding Fiscal Responsibility
Photos / Video
High School Students Try Budget Hero at event organized by the Close Up Foundation
Teaching economics can be difficult, let alone trying to teach about the complexities of the federal budget. But a challenging online game makes civics and economics accessible and fun. And, it’s free! Budget Hero lets students try to balance the federal budget. It’s nonpartisan and loaded with facts and figures from the Congressional Budget Office, all on colorful policy cards. This teacher site includes lesson plans and other resources, and provides an online community for teachers and students who are playing the game.