This research update co-published with the National Security Archive includes the publication of recently declassified satellite photographs of the South African Nuclear Test site from 1977, a new release of a CIA report on the September 1979 South Atlantic Mystery Flash, and Department of Energy and Defense Intelligence Agency Reports illuminating pre-war controversy over the Iraqi procurement of aluminum tubes for an alleged gas centrifuge program
CWIHP publications, events and resources, like our online Digital Archive, always have been and always will be free. Yet producing cutting-edge research requires steady streams of funding. While CWIHP receives restricted support from foundations and corporations, these grants cover only a portion of our total operating budget. The balance comes from donations made by generous CWIHP supporters like you.
William Taubman wins the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for his biography, Khrushchev: The Man and His Era.
Leadership Transition in a Fractured Bloc
The Nuclear Proliferation International History Project is pleased to announce the publication of the latest NPIHP Research Update by William Burr, senior analyst at the National Security Archive. The paper, U.S. Secret Assistance to the French Nuclear Program, 1969-1975: From "Fourth Country" to Strategic Partner features sixty-six new documents on U.S. assistance to the French nuclear program and the debate in Washington surrounding the French decision to 'go nuclear.'
CWIHP Working Paper No. 38
Subscribe to CWIHP News
Experts & Staff
- Christian F. Ostermann // Director, History and Public Policy Program; Global Europe; Cold War International History Project; North Korea Documentation Project; Nuclear Proliferation International History Project
- James Person // Senior Program Associate
- Laura Deal // Catalog Specialist
- Pieter Biersteker // Editorial Assistant
- Charles Kraus // Program Assistant
- Evan Pikulski // Program Assistant