January 30, 2014 // 3:00pm — 4:30pm
Join us for a panel discussion where speakers will discuss key challenges and opportunities for women's participation and rights in various countries in the region. The event will highlight insights from a new CARE research report analyzing women’s political participation in countries such as Egypt, Yemen, and Morocco.
January 30, 2014 // 9:00am — 10:00am
The speakers will discuss the situation on the ground in Egypt.
January 27, 2014 // 9:30am — 10:30am
In this Ground Truth Briefing, three prominent analysts of Syria assess the results of the Geneva Conference and the future of political efforts to deal with the Syrian conflict. Was Geneva a key to an empty room? And if so, what would be required to fundamentally change the situation on the ground and move toward a political solution?
January 15, 2014 // 3:00pm — 4:00pm
This annual lecture serves to honor Dr. Michael Van Dusen’s commitment to the Middle East and constant support of the Middle East Program since its inception in February 1998. The series will provide a forum for the world’s leading thinkers and policymakers to speak on critical issues affecting the Middle East and North Africa region.
January 10, 2014 // 12:00pm — 1:00pm
Turkey's governing party, the Justice and Development Party (AKP), and its leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan are mired in perhaps the severest crisis of their 11 year rule. Coming after the summer Gezi protests, the recent corruption scandal has shaken the AKP once again to its roots and undermined domestic and international confidence in Turkey's leadership acumen and capabilities. The damage that has been done could not have come at a worse time for AKP both in terms of the election calendar and the international challenges it faces.
December 19, 2013 // 1:00pm — 2:00pm
With the referendum on the new Constitution set for January 14/15, Egypt is at another critical juncture in its political transition. In this Ground Truth Briefing, experts discuss the new Constitution, political developments on the ground, and the U.S.-Egyptian relationship.
December 13, 2013 // 12:00pm — 2:00pm
The speakers considered the impact of the sanctions relief package recently approved in Geneva on the Iranian economy.
December 09, 2013 // 9:00am — 10:00am
Panelists will discuss potential reform for higher education in Muslim societies.
November 25, 2013 // 3:30pm — 4:30pm
In this Ground Truth Briefing, two veteran U.S. policymakers and a Wilson Center Iran expert assess the implications of ongoing nuclear talks between the P5+1 and Iran, and their consequences for American interests.
November 20, 2013 // 9:00am — 11:30am
A book launch for "Arabs and Israelis: Conflict and Peacemaking in the Middle East."
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Ismail Alexandrani // Visiting Arab Journalist
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Jeffrey Goldberg // Distinguished Fellow
- Roya Hakakian // Fellow
- Lilia Labidi // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Max Rodenbeck // Fellow
- Joseph Sassoon // Fellow
- Abdulkader Sinno // Fellow
- Samir Sumaida’ie // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar