"Iraq was never the U.S.'s to win. That point -- along with lowered expectations and focused goals -- must be the basis of any new approach to the region," writes Aaron David Miller.
2011 Ion Ratiu Democracy Award Winner Nabeel Rajab was told by security personnel at the Cairo International Airport that he is banned from entering Egypt.
"Obama will act militarily in Syria, but deliberately. Whatever its misgivings, the U.S. military will execute whatever attack the president authorizes – maybe missile strikes against units that have used chemical weapons, or against other military infrastructure. And if he explains his reasoning clearly and transparently, he’ll have Congress and the public behind him," writes Aaron David Miller in Politico.
Despite difficulties and setbacks, many Iraqis are laboring tirelessly toward an Iraq that would embrace an inclusive and representative government, energized economy, and engaged civil society.
"This is not just a Syria problem, this is a world problem. I think we have reached the tipping point. This opposition or what is good about it…has got to get more support from the United States and it has to be known that we are helping,” said Jane Harman on MSNBC's Morning Joe.
The Middle East Program will send out the latest developments on women’s issues in the Middle East and North Africa region on a bi-monthly basis.
Iraqis are heading to the polls at the end of April. More important than the results of these elections are fundamental issues confronting the country such as the economy's utter reliance on oil, the prevalence of corruption in every sector, and the deepening sectarianism that is impacting political and economic decisions.
In this conference, speakers discussed progress toward the empowerment of women in the Middle East and North Africa. The first panel examined the status of women in a select number of countries in the region, focusing on women's rights and civil society, and examining developments in women's political participation and legal rights. The second panel focused on the experiences of women in peacebuilding and conflict resolution.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar