The field of candidates may be limited, but the outside world can still learn a lot from Iran's 2013 presidential poll, writes Robin Wright in a ForeignPolicy.com op-ed.
Middle East Program Director Haleh Esfandiari chronicles her interrogation and incarceration in Iran, including 105 days in solitary confinement at Evin Prison, in My Prison, My Home. The new book is set against the backdrop of fond memories of her Iranian upbringing, with insights into the current troubled political climate.
Talks with Iran on its nuclear work have continued but little progress has been made. Iran nuclear expert Michael Alder reports that a "large gap" remains between the positions of Iran and the six nations negotiating with it – the United States, Russia, China, Britain, Germany and France.
So the recent talks in Geneva between Iran and the world’s six major powers produced far more than a long-elusive deal to restrict Iran’s nuclear program, writes Robin Wright in Time. Geneva laid the cornerstone to defuse 34 years of both overt and covert confrontation over a host of other issues too.
Gridlock: Labor, Migration, and Human Trafficking in Dubai by Pardis Mahdavi, former Wilson Center Fellow and Assistant Professor of Anthropology at Pomona College, was just released.
Not all Islamist political parties are to be feared, but an extremist strain called the Salafis have a warped vision of a new order in the Middle East, writes Robin Wright in The New York Times.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar