On the occasion of Hassan Rouhani’s election as Iran’s new president, the Middle East Program compiled the views of 25 Iran experts from the Middle East, Europe, and the United States on the topic, “The Domestic and Foreign Policy Challenges of the New Iranian President, Hassan Rouhani.”
Egypt is not on the verge of collapse, nor is such an outcome likely even if violence persists. Still, the government needs to make substantial changes to calm tensions, writes Joshua Stacher in Foreign Affairs.
The UN’s nuclear watchdog wants access to the controversial site, to investigate allegations an atom bomb “trigger” may have been tested there. Senior Scholar Michael Adlers provides a fact sheet explaining what's going on.
After days of ominous buildup, it’s finally happening: Israel has launched a ground incursion into Gaza. Aaron David Miller explains why Bibi did it.
In this seminar series sponsored by the Wilson Center's Middle East Program, the Environmental Change and Security Project, and USAID, experts are convening to discuss such topics as safe motherhood, reproductive health and culture, fertility patterns, contraceptive use, and HIV.
"He represented the very best of American diplomacy. He knew the streets, not just the elites. He had an infectious enthusiasm about the extraordinary history playing out across the Middle East, which he witnessed up close," said Distinguished Scholar Robin Wright on her friend of 25 years, Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
This new book examines China’s role in the Persian Gulf, evolving views on China from within the Gulf, and what China’s presence means for the United States.
For this issue of Viewpoints, the Middle East Program reached out to a number of its regular contributors and invited them to share with us their thoughts and concerns on the treatment of women and girls by ISIS.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
August 25, 2014 // 2:00pm — 4:00pm
Turkey’s Presidential Elections 2014 - What do they mean for Turkey’s democratization process, the Kurdish question and Turkey’s foreign policy?
September 11, 2014 // 12:00pm — 2:00pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar