"The goal of winning "concrete steps" from Iran is still far away. This gives fuel to those who argue that time is running out because Iran continues to expand its enrichment and other nuclear work. And it puts a question mark over what the results in Moscow mean going forward," writes Iran nuclear expert Michael Adler.
Yes, Israelis and Palestinians have entered yet another violent round in their seemingly interminable conflict. How did they get into this mess? And, more important, how are they going to get out of it? As we watch the fighting escalate, here are five myths that need correcting.
Women in the Middle East continue to strive for equality and justice throughout the region. Several recent Middle East Program meetings explored the progress in some countries and some of the challenges that remain.
In this publication, based on papers presented at a conference on May 14, 2012 at the Wilson Center, leading women scholars and activists analyze the strategies by which opponents of women’s rights seek to marginalize women and the strategies by which women have sought to protect and expand these rights.
“Iran showed this week that it has a policy every bit as dual track as the one the United States is pursuing against it,” writes Public Policy Scholar Michael Adler. “In a dramatic gesture, Iran stepped away from warnings of military retaliation to offer talks on a nuclear program Washington fears could lead to the bomb for the Islamic Republic.”
The primary reason for Egypt's current travails has much more to do with the choices Egyptians have made and the circumstances those choices have created than the policies of the Obama administration, let alone any sins of omission and commission, writes Aaron David Miller in Foreign Policy.
Wilson Center Senior Scholar Margot Badran is the editor of a new book Gender and Islam in Africa: Rights, Sexuality, and Law
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar