Robin Wright speaks with Host Arun Rath on NPR's All Things Considered about the "first-step" deal between Iran, the United States, and five world powers, to curb Iran's nuclear program. Wright says the deal is the best option available after decades of sanctions and standoffs.
The complexity of Arab attitudes toward Iran before and after the start of the Arab uprisings is reflected not only in the gap of perception between the Arab people and Arab governments, but also in important differences on Iran across those governments. Even among Arab governments most threatened by Iran and most inclined to see it weakened, their sense of threat and how to address it differs substantially from Israel’s sense of threat.
“Iran is reverting to the failed policies of the past,” says Middle East Program Director Haleh Esfandiari in a Q&A on the decision of 36 Iranian universities to limit access to or altogether bar women from certain academic fields.
The international community is taking gradual—yet effective—steps to secure nuclear materials, with Russia “turning the corner from nuclear problem state to nuclear solution state,” Carnegie’s Matthew Rojansky says. In this interview, he and other experts assess the 2012 Nuclear Security Summit in Seoul.
"Love him or hate him, Ariel Sharon was a stunningly consequential, larger than life, and historic figure," writes Aaron David Miller.
Click to see the table of contents, or download the full PDF below.
The alliance between Iran and Syria has been an important and persistent feature on the political landscape of the Middle East for more than three decades. The eruption of the Syrian uprising in the spring of 2011 has presented the greatest challenge to the survival of the Tehran-Damascus nexus. Does this signify the end of the partnership? This article provides a brief overview of the relationship and a detailed analysis of the evolution of Iran’s policies, perspectives, interests, and options in the ongoing Syrian crisis.
Read the presentation given by Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, Special Presidential Envoy for Afghanistan
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar