“Iran is reverting to the failed policies of the past,” says Middle East Program Director Haleh Esfandiari in a Q&A on the decision of 36 Iranian universities to limit access to or altogether bar women from certain academic fields.
The international community is taking gradual—yet effective—steps to secure nuclear materials, with Russia “turning the corner from nuclear problem state to nuclear solution state,” Carnegie’s Matthew Rojansky says. In this interview, he and other experts assess the 2012 Nuclear Security Summit in Seoul.
Click to see the table of contents, or download the full PDF below.
Wilson Center Scholar Robin Wright and Les Gelb, President Emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations talk on “Charlie Rose” about the escalating crisis in Iraq.
Read the presentation given by Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, Special Presidential Envoy for Afghanistan
In 2013, the Middle East Program at the Woodrow Wilson Center produced 44 publications and 63 meetings. The summary of all of our activities is in the attachment below.
ElBaradei, the former international bureaucrat, is now in government in his homeland. It remains to be seen how he fares in this new role. The military, after all, is looking over his shoulder after putting him in power. ElBaradei’s delicate task will be to reassure the military while preserving his commitment to a real democracy. If the past is any guide, the mild-mannered Nobel Peace laureate may turn out to be surprising due to his tenacity.
When Iran meets with Western powers Saturday, it surely won’t agree to changes in its nuclear program, diplomats say, writes Public Policy Scholar Michael Adler. But an agreement to keep talking will be encouragement enough.
Director Jane Harman joins NBC News’ Martin Fletcher on Morning Joe to discuss the latest crisis in Israel and Gaza, as Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu puts further pressure on militants.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar