Looking ahead to a post-Assad Syria, Aaron David Miller provides a preliminary scorecard of who the winners and losers will be, both within the splintered nation and among foreign stakeholders Russia, Iran, Israel, Lebanon, and the United States.
The signs don't look good for meaningful progress, let alone breakthrough, writes Aaron David Miller about the Israel-Palestine negotiations.
In Celebration of International Women’s Day 2012
What place does gender reform have in modern Islamic societies? A May 4 conference sponsored by the Middle East Program examined the efforts of reformist women to improve the status of women throughout the region.
Beijing, in its quest looking for energy resources, is slowly and steadily building ties with the resource-rich Persian Gulf states. What implications does this have for Washington which constantly looks to counterbalance China's influence in the global arena? This new book, edited by the Asia Program at the Wilson Center, examines China’s role in the Persian Gulf, evolving views on China from within the Gulf, and what China’s presence means for the United States.
Wilson Center Senior Scholar Marina Ottaway discussed the legitimacy of the outcome of Egypt's recent elections and the validity of the country's new constitution in a June 6, 2013 National Interest article.
"We didn't sign up for nation-building, kept denying that's what we wanted to do, and in the end stopped trying," writes Aaron David Miller.
David Ottaway, a senior scholar at the Wilson Center, has recently returned from Tunisia. This piece is an overview of his observations of current challenges faced by Tunisia’s leadership.
The Middle East Project at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars arranged a series of meetings on June 25 and 26, 2001, to assess the June 9 presidential elections in Iran. A number of Iranian specialists from Iran and the U.S. took part in the sessions. This publication brings together the papers presented at these meetings.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar