The Obama administration's effort to negotiate a deal on the nuclear issue is going to be an unpredictable ride, but any deal will need to acknowledge the politics on both sides, writes Aaron David Miller.
Journalists and academics from around the world convened to discuss the state of reporting in their respective countries. Panelists discussed journalist's access to, and freedom to disseminate, information and the media's impact on public opinion and policy.
The idea that Syria was anyone’s to win or lose, or that the United States could significantly shape the outcome there, is typical of the arrogant paternalism and flawed analysis that have gotten this country into heaps of trouble in the Middle East over the years, argues Aaron David Miller.
The deep divide between the military and the Muslim Brotherhood was confirmed at the ballot box. Regional expert David Ottaway analyzes the power struggle in a Post-Mubarak Egypt, and what to expect in the coming months.
In response to the escalating tensions in the Bahraini capital Manama, and following the State Department's statement of concern regarding the violence in the city, Wilson Center President and CEO Jane Harman issued the following statement.
As the gerontocratic rulers of the House of Saud plot to appoint successors, the inside fight to lead the kingdom is heating up, writes senior scholar David Ottaway.
Treasury Dept. terrorism specialist Stuart Levey, journalist Robin Wright, and former IMF executive Jahangir Amuzegar discuss the Treasury's strategy of peacefully confronting Iran by destroying its "credit rating." The event was hosted by the Wilson Center's Middle East Program.
Michael Adler looks at the year ahead in negotiations over Iran's nuclear program and explains why 2013 may not be the year of decision many are claiming it will be.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar