"After the Arab Uprisings: Women on Rights, Religion, and Rebuilding" examines ordinary citizens' views on the issues vital to rebuilding after the revolution. The report focuses on several countries that experienced upheaval in 2011, exploring the perspectives of women and men on the role of religious legislation, women's rights, life perceptions, and the economy.
Middle East Program Director Haleh Esfandiari has a piece in the New York Review of Books blog on Iran’s new president Hassan Rouhani called “Iran’s Man in the Middle.”
Women in the Middle East continue to strive for equality and justice throughout the region. Several recent Middle East Program meetings explored the progress in some countries and some of the challenges that remain.
Iran's presidential elections will take place in June against a background of crisis. The ruling elite is deeply divided, reformist leaders remain under house arrest, economic problems are mounting and the stand-off with the West over Iran's nuclear program remains unresolved. Shaul Bakhash discusses the potential candidates, the major issues and vexed question of electoral freedom that are likely to dominate the election campaign.
Former member of parliament Rola Dashti was appointed state minister for planning and development and state minister for National Assembly affairs in Kuwait.
During a lockdown, if you try to walk across the street to buy bread, your compound guards will not only deny you exit, they’ll reprimand you for being outside at all. It's all part of living in Kabul, former Wilson Center research assistant Matt Trevithick writes.
"The days of Iraq as a unitary country that can be ruled by a powerful government in Baghdad are over," writes Marina Ottaway.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar