Looking ahead to a post-Assad Syria, Aaron David Miller provides a preliminary scorecard of who the winners and losers will be, both within the splintered nation and among foreign stakeholders Russia, Iran, Israel, Lebanon, and the United States.
In Celebration of International Women’s Day 2012
One year ago, Egypt was marred by a democratically-elected, autocratic, theocratic president and a deeply flawed constitution. Looking back at the past six months, the fact that Egypt was given a second lease on life and a chance to rewrite the constitution seems like a fairy tale. Is our new constitution a dream constitution? More importantly, could it be a dream that will not come true?
Beijing, in its quest looking for energy resources, is slowly and steadily building ties with the resource-rich Persian Gulf states. What implications does this have for Washington which constantly looks to counterbalance China's influence in the global arena? This new book, edited by the Asia Program at the Wilson Center, examines China’s role in the Persian Gulf, evolving views on China from within the Gulf, and what China’s presence means for the United States.
There's a great deal we don't know (yet) about John Kerry's efforts to resume negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians. So how are we to know if this process is on the right track and won't become just another woulda/shoulda/coulda enterprise? In this article from ForeignPolicy.com, Aaron David Miller lists five things to look for on the U.S. side.
David Ottaway, a senior scholar at the Wilson Center, has recently returned from Tunisia. This piece is an overview of his observations of current challenges faced by Tunisia’s leadership.
Aaron David Miller considers three core questions that need answering about the military action the president is about to authorize in Syria.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar