"In Syria, there are no good options, American credibility is at stake, and the pressures to act are considerable in the face of great uncertainties," writes Aaron David Miller in Salon.com.
President Obama is now faced with a dilemma: Defending his red line could undermine his carefully crafted strategy of steering clear of direct military involvement in the Syria crisis. Aaron David Miller notes several points the president should keep in mind as he grapples with this conundrum.
Jane Harman appears on MSNBC's Morning Joe to discuss allegations of chemical weapon use in Syria.
Aaron David Miller writes that John Kerry may prove to be a more successful U.S. Secretary of State than Hillary Clinton.
Prime Minister Salam Fayyad's resignation has the potential to inject clarity and honesty into the region's problems, writes Aaron David Miller in this op-ed from The Los Angeles Times.
In this interview, Iran nuclear expert Michael Adler describes the outcome of the latest P5+1 talks in Kazakhstan.
Once again, talks between the international community, led by the United States, and Iran have failed to reach an agreement. Talks in Almaty, Kazakhstan, last Friday and Saturday, ended in a stalemate, writes Michael Adler.
"This is not just a Syria problem, this is a world problem. I think we have reached the tipping point. This opposition or what is good about it…has got to get more support from the United States and it has to be known that we are helping,” said Jane Harman on MSNBC's Morning Joe.
The Obama administration is stepping up support for rebels in Syria’s civil war. Distinguished Scholar Robin Wright discusses U.S. leverage in Syria and America's role in the Middle East on the Diane Rehm Show.
Jane Harman joins a panel on MSNBC’s Morning Joe to discuss the U.S. position on Syria in the context of reports of chemical weapons use and the 10-year anniversary of the Iraq War.
October 07, 2014 // 4:30pm — 6:30pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar