Pro-democracy rebellions have erupted across the Middle East since December 2010. The Wilson Center's Middle East Program continues to hold meetings to explore effects in different countries and among different groups, including women. Events included a June event in which three female panelists participated in the Wilson Center session from Egypt, via Skype.
Something began during the Arab Spring that is irreversible, contends Wilson Center Scholar Roberto Toscano. The Arab masses feel empowered and have set the stage for economic and social transformation.
By Roberto Toscano, Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars *a shorter version of this piece appeared in the July 2011 issue of the Wilson Center's Centerpoint*
Below are pieces from current and former Wilson Center experts available on the Iran Primer blog website at http://iranprimer.usip.org/blog.
Wilson Center Senior Scholar Margot Badran is the editor of a new book Gender and Islam in Africa: Rights, Sexuality, and Law
By David B. Ottaway, Senior Scholar, Woodrow Wilson Center and former Bureau Chief, Washington Post, Cairo
By Michael Adler, Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson Center
Gridlock: Labor, Migration, and Human Trafficking in Dubai by Pardis Mahdavi, former Wilson Center Fellow and Assistant Professor of Anthropology at Pomona College, was just released.
Wilson Center Fellow Jason Brownlee reports on his one-week trip to Egypt to witness the May 19 referendum on amendments to the Egyptian constitution.
David Ottaway, Senior Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, and Marina Ottaway, Director of the Middle East Program at Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, published a piece for Carnegie Endowment and for the Middle East Program at the Wilson Center on "Of Revolutions, Regime Change and State Collapse in the Arab World."
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Mona Youssef // Program Associate
- Kendra Heideman // Program Assistant
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Shlomi Eldar // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Emad El-Din Shahin // Public Policy Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar