In exclusive interviews, Aaron David Miller, Haleh Esfandiari and William B. Milam discuss the significance of Muammar Gaddafi's death in the context of the greater Arab Spring.
The enduring legacy of the Iran-Iraq War will be the focus of the panel discussion, The Iran-Iraq War: The View from Baghdad, to take place Tuesday, October 25, at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
The alleged Iranian plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador has increased the fear of more attacks on American soil and raised questions about what could be gained from such a bold provocation. Wilson Center experts provide broader context to this bizarre and disturbing news.
Nabeel Rajab, a leading human rights activist and president of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights, will receive the 2011 Ion Ratiu Democracy Award, presented annually by the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
Pro-democracy rebellions have erupted across the Middle East since December 2010. The Wilson Center's Middle East Program continues to hold meetings to explore effects in different countries and among different groups, including women. Events included a June event in which three female panelists participated in the Wilson Center session from Egypt, via Skype.
Something began during the Arab Spring that is irreversible, contends Wilson Center Scholar Roberto Toscano. The Arab masses feel empowered and have set the stage for economic and social transformation.
Below are pieces from current and former Wilson Center experts available on the Iran Primer blog website at http://iranprimer.usip.org/blog.
Wilson Center Senior Scholar Margot Badran is the editor of a new book Gender and Islam in Africa: Rights, Sexuality, and Law
By Roberto Toscano, Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars *a shorter version of this piece appeared in the July 2011 issue of the Wilson Center's Centerpoint*
By David B. Ottaway, Senior Scholar, Woodrow Wilson Center and former Bureau Chief, Washington Post, Cairo
October 07, 2014 // 4:30pm — 6:30pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar