The alleged Iranian plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador has increased the fear of more attacks on American soil and raised questions about what could be gained from such a bold provocation. Wilson Center experts provide broader context to this bizarre and disturbing news.
Nabeel Rajab, a leading human rights activist and president of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights, will receive the 2011 Ion Ratiu Democracy Award, presented annually by the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
Something began during the Arab Spring that is irreversible, contends Wilson Center Scholar Roberto Toscano. The Arab masses feel empowered and have set the stage for economic and social transformation.
Pro-democracy rebellions have erupted across the Middle East since December 2010. The Wilson Center's Middle East Program continues to hold meetings to explore effects in different countries and among different groups, including women. Events included a June event in which three female panelists participated in the Wilson Center session from Egypt, via Skype.
Below are pieces from current and former Wilson Center experts available on the Iran Primer blog website at http://iranprimer.usip.org/blog.
Wilson Center Senior Scholar Margot Badran is the editor of a new book Gender and Islam in Africa: Rights, Sexuality, and Law
By Roberto Toscano, Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars *a shorter version of this piece appeared in the July 2011 issue of the Wilson Center's Centerpoint*
By David B. Ottaway, Senior Scholar, Woodrow Wilson Center and former Bureau Chief, Washington Post, Cairo
By Michael Adler, Public Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson Center
Gridlock: Labor, Migration, and Human Trafficking in Dubai by Pardis Mahdavi, former Wilson Center Fellow and Assistant Professor of Anthropology at Pomona College, was just released.
January 30, 2015 // 12:15pm — 1:15pm
February 04, 2015 // 1:30pm — 4:15pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Roya Hakakian // Fellow
- Lilia Labidi // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Max Rodenbeck // Fellow
- Joseph Sassoon // Fellow
- Abdulkader Sinno // Fellow
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar