Who is winning the war in Gaza? Aaron David Miller writes that while it's still too early to say, for now, here's how he would score the performance of the five major parties to this crisis: Israel, Hamas, the PA, Egypt, and the United States.
"I worked as a U.S. negotiator on the Arab-Israeli conflict for almost 20 years, and nobody ever lost money betting against peace," writes Aaron David Miller. "When mediators do succeed, it's largely because the locals are ready for a deal – and a need a third party."
As Secretary of State John Kerry implores an end to the current crisis in the Middle East, violence continues in the region. Jane Harman joins NOW With Alex Wagner to discuss on MSNBC.
Netanyahu has now laid out a different vision for an acceptable endgame -- the "demilitarization" of Gaza, writes Aaron David Miller. Is he serious and is a demilitarized Gaza really possible?
Transcript for a panel discussion on the challenges of researching and writing on recent Middle East history.
After days of ominous buildup, it’s finally happening: Israel has launched a ground incursion into Gaza. Aaron David Miller explains why Bibi did it.
On the eve of the latest deadline for a potential deal with Iran over its nuclear program, Robert Litwak has authored an insightful study that considers the technical and political contexts for a possible resolution. He identifies a core question --- Is Iran a “revolutionary state” or an “ordinary country”?
Israel and Hamas may be mortal enemies, but they have a history of "deriving the maximum benefit from one another," writes Aaron David Miller.
Director Jane Harman discusses the escalating violence between Israel and the Palestinians and the immigration crisis on CBS News' Talk of the Nation with Gerald Seib, Danielle Pletka, and Nia-Malika Henderson.
Yes, Israelis and Palestinians have entered yet another violent round in their seemingly interminable conflict. How did they get into this mess? And, more important, how are they going to get out of it? As we watch the fighting escalate, here are five myths that need correcting.
December 01, 2014 // 10:00am — 11:00am
December 01, 2014 // 12:00pm — 1:00pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Roya Hakakian // Fellow
- Lilia Labidi // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joseph Sassoon // Fellow
- Abdulkader Sinno // Fellow
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar