Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu faces the prospect of being ensnared in traps that will limit his room to maneuver and undermine Israel's interests, writes Aaron David Miller.
Rachid Ghannouchi, the leader of the Ennahda party in Tunisia, discussed the recent developments in Tunisia including the new constitution, reasons for the democratic transition’s success, and challenges ahead for the country.
The interim agreement on Iran’s nukes was fuzzy, but now the real talks have begun on what sort of capacities—from centrifuges to missiles—the Islamic Republic will retain in a new deal, writes Michael Adler.
"Having been around Middle East negotiations, particularly failed ones, for more than a few years, here are five rules out of the negotiator's handbook that everyone should bear in mind," writes Aaron David Miller.
Michael Adler spoke to Yukiya Amano, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, on the Iranian nuclear deal.
"Yet there is one reason for the president's caution that he almost never mentions -- and it may be one of the most compelling. Not surprisingly, it is derivative of Obama's most important foreign-policy objective in the Middle East: a nuclear deal with Iran," writes Aaron David Miller.
The Middle East Program of the Woodrow Wilson Center hosted a meeting with Saad Eddine El Othmani, the former Moroccan Minister of Foreign Affairs, on “Political Developments in Morocco: The African Context.”
Jane Harman appeared on MSNBC's "The Daily Rundown" with Time magazine's world editor Bobby Ghosh to discuss the Iran sanctions bill and Russia's oil-for-goods negotiations with Iran. "We've spent 10 years imposing sanctions to get to the point where we can talk to Iran, so let's talk to Iran," Harman said.
"Love him or hate him, Ariel Sharon was a stunningly consequential, larger than life, and historic figure," writes Aaron David Miller.
Is John Kerry quietly on the cusp of a Israel-Palestine peace talks breakthrough? Aaron Miller writes that while the odds of success are long, there is reason to believe.
The Iran Primer Blog
The Islamists Are Coming
September 10, 2014 // 4:00pm — 5:30pm
Turkey’s Presidential Elections 2014 - What do they mean for Turkey’s democratization process, the Kurdish question and Turkey’s foreign policy?
September 11, 2014 // 12:00pm — 2:00pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Michael Adler // Public Policy Scholar
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joby Warrick // Public Policy Scholar
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar