"President Rouhani clearly will have popular support. But in Iran and abroad, eyes will be trained on the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei," writes Haleh Esfandiari and Robert Litwak.
"The deal still has to go through formal drafting, but the terms announced by Secretary of State John Kerry addressed the majority of issues with more specificity than expected," writes Robin Wright.
"But even if an agreement is reached, four decades of hostility between Iran and the United States will not be erased overnight," writes Haleh Esfandiari.
"A deal on the nuclear issue may well slow Iran’s program. That would be a good thing. But a situation where the U.S. is not moving to check Iran’s influence or, worse, making excuses for Iranian behavior is likely to create huge problems for Washington and its friends in the region," writes Aaron David Miller.
"The many layers of Yemen’s crisis are unlikely to be solved by military means," writes Robin Wright.
"Lack of jobs is only one of several issues that have disillusioned Tunisia’s young and enticed some of them to militancy," writes Robin Wright.
"The only thing that’s certain now is that if the Western world and Persian Gulf states do not help Tunisia tackle its unemployment and the sociological malaise of the younger generation, things there will grow worse before there is any hope of improvement," writes Haleh Esfandiari and Jason Brodsky.
What an Israeli government will look like if Bibi Netanyahu loses the election to the Labor Party candidate -- and what it could accomplish according to Aaron David Miller.
"Secretary of State John Kerry’s comments Sunday that the Obama administration is considering negotiating with the Assad regime to achieve a political settlement in Syria is less stunning news than an acknowledgement that U.S. policy toward Syria has failed," writes Aaron David Miller.
"The peculiarities of Israel’s electoral system suggest there’s little use in trying to call Tuesday’s elections," writes Aaron David Miller.
Experts & Staff
- Henri J. Barkey // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Craig Romano // Program Assistant
- Ismail Alexandrani // Visiting Arab Journalist
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Laura Blumenfeld // Public Policy Fellow
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Jeffrey Goldberg // Distinguished Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director Emerita, Middle East Program