"We didn't sign up for nation-building, kept denying that's what we wanted to do, and in the end stopped trying," writes Aaron David Miller.
"Given its deepening sectarian and ethnic divisions—and the absence of a cohesive or effective military—the modern Iraqi state may not hold," writes Robin Wright.
Wilson Center Scholar Robin Wright and Les Gelb, President Emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations talk on “Charlie Rose” about the escalating crisis in Iraq.
"The days of Iraq as a unitary country that can be ruled by a powerful government in Baghdad are over," writes Marina Ottaway.
"Iran will need to be involved in any international solution to the chaos that has overtaken Iraq. But while there may be some commanders of the Revolutionary Guards who are arguing to send in military forces, Iran is unlikely to do more than send advisers to assist the Iraqi military, without committing its own forces," writes Haleh Esfandiari.
“The danger from the extremist movement growing in Iraq is not just creating failed states out of Iraq and Syria but spawning a failed region,” writes Robin Wright.
As Iraq chaos worsens, Washington and Tehran have started using the same language. Robin Wright examines new possibilities for the two countries to work together.
Iraqi Kurdistan has achieved new prosperity by exporting its own oil and gas to Turkey, against the objections of Iraq’s central government. By challenging Baghdad’s claims to exclusive control of Iraq’s natural resources, the Kurds are showing how economic cooperation can make Middle Eastern borders more porous.
Robert Ford, America’s recently retired ambassador to Syria, shares his thoughts on the use of force, the prospects for a diplomatic solution, and the possibility of collaborating with Iran during a candid discussion of the ongoing violence with Syria.
The signs don't look good for meaningful progress, let alone breakthrough, writes Aaron David Miller about the Israel-Palestine negotiations.
December 01, 2014 // 10:00am — 11:00am
December 01, 2014 // 12:00pm — 1:00pm
Experts & Staff
- Haleh Esfandiari // Director, Middle East Program
- Kendra Heideman // Program Associate
- Julia Romano // Program Assistant
- Margot Badran // Senior Scholar
- Jason Brodsky // Policy Advisor to the Director, President and CEO and Research Associate
- Roya Hakakian // Fellow
- Lilia Labidi // Fellow
- Aaron David Miller // Vice President for New Initiatives and Distinguished Scholar
- William Green Miller // Senior Scholar
- Amal Mudallali // Senior Scholar
- David Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Marina Ottaway // Senior Scholar
- Joseph Sassoon // Fellow
- Abdulkader Sinno // Fellow
- Robert Worth // Public Policy Scholar
- Robin Wright // USIP-Wilson Center Distinguished Scholar