The Bonds of Brotherhood: New Evidence on Sino–North Korean Exchanges, 1950–1954
CWIHP is pleased to welcome Wilson Center Public Policy Scholar Shen Zhihua. His project is entitled "Uncertain Partners: A History of Sino-DPRK Relations, 1949-1992."
Bernd Schaefer discussed the links between the North Korean security service and the East German Stasi in the 1980s, particularly in preparations for the Pyongyang World Festival of Youth and Students in 1989.
The workshop Interkit aims to shed new light on the mechanisms of cooperation and conflicts within the socialist world, and to answer the question: how differences in political and cultural traditions and geopolitical locations interacted under the influence of the Soviet Union.
In the interview James Person suggested that based upon his research, Washington's reliance on Beijing to resolve the North Korean nuclear crisis is a result of America's failure to understand North Korea.
NKIDP senior advisor and associate professor of history at The Ohio State University delivered a talk entitled "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss: The United States and North Korea in the 1960's (and Beyond?)" at Brigham Young University's David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies on North Korea's military adventurism in the late 1960s.
The Yonhap News Agency and Joongang Daily carried articles on the signing of a memorandum of understanding between the Korea Foundation and the Wilson Center establishing the KF Junior Scholars Program.
The program will provide Korean students currently enrolled in an advanced degree program the opportunity to spend between three to six months at the Center conducting advanced research on an important public policy issue or a topic in international history.
Arguing that the North Korean regime understands and exploits international diplomatic norms.
Experts & Staff
- Christian F. Ostermann // Director, History and Public Policy Program; Global Europe; Cold War International History Project; North Korea Documentation Project; Nuclear Proliferation International History Project
- James Person // Deputy Director, History and Public Policy Program; Cold War International History Project; North Korea Documentation Project; Nuclear Proliferation International History Project
- Charles Kraus // Program Associate
- Roy O. Kim // Program Assistant
- Jean H. Lee // Public Policy Fellow