These documents shed new light on South Africa’s unique nuclear history, from early uranium supply arrangements with the United States to the South African response to the September 1979 Vela incident.
Fourth Annual European Summer School on Cold War History at the Università di Trento, 5-8 September 2012
Article co-authored with Hans Kristensen presents "key milestones and facts regarding the nuclear pursuits of the first five states to develop nuclear weapons."
Several articles appeared in South Asian newspapers covering William Burr's latest Research Update, "The Nixon Administration and the Indian Nuclear Program, 1972-1974."
Recently declassified Australian Department of Defence documents detail Australia's contributions to the 2010 US Nuclear Posture Review (NPR) as well as official analysis of the NPRs effects on Australian security following the report's April 2010 release.
Nuclear Boot Camp participant Mara Drogan has completed her Ph.D. with distinction at the University at Albany. Her dissertation title is 'Atoms for Peace, US Foreign Policy, and the Globalization of Nuclear Technology, 1953-1960.'
NPIHP’s partners at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses and the Indian Pugwash Society will host a lecture on "The Evolution of India’s Nuclear Program: Reminisces of the Early Years" with prominent physicist and nuclear policy advisor Prof. M.G.K. Menon, former chairman of the Indian Space Research Organization, and former director of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
Avner Cohen, senior fellow at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies and a close NPIHP partner was recently interviewed by the Jerusalem Post on Iran’s nuclear program.
"United States-South African Nuclear Relations During the Cold War and Beyond"
The Nuclear Proliferation International History Project’s (NPIHP’s) first annual Nuclear Boot Camp was a 9 day full-immersion course on the most important topics and themes in the history of nuclear arms.
Subscribe to NPIHP News
Experts & Staff
- Christian F. Ostermann // Director, History and Public Policy Program; Global Europe; Cold War International History Project; North Korea Documentation Project; Nuclear Proliferation International History Project
- Leopoldo Nuti // Co-Director, Nuclear Proliferation International History Project; Public Policy Scholar
- Evan Pikulski // Program Assistant
- CIMA—Machiavelli Center for Cold War Studies
- Department of Contemporary History/University of Vienna
- East China Normal University—Center for Cold War International History Studies
- ETH Zurich—Center for Security Studies
- Fundacao Getulio Vargas—Center for the Documentation of the Contemporary History of Brazil
- Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses
- Interdisciplinary Center Herzilya
- James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies
- Monash South Africa
- The National Security Archive
- The University of Texas at Austin’s Robert S. Strauss Center for International Security and Law
- Global Insecurities Centre, University of Bristol
- Stockholm University Graduate School of International Studies Stockholm University