Wilson Center Experts
Chen Jian is a leading scholar in modern Chinese history, history of Chinese-American relations, and Cold War international history. He is Michael J. Zak Professor of History for US-China Relations at Cornell University, where he has taught since 2005. He will be joining New York University/New York University-Shanghai as Distinguished Global Network Professor of History in Fall 2014. He is also Zijiang Distinguished Visiting Professor at East China Normal University. He held the Philippe Roman Chair in History and International Affairs at the London School of Economics (2008-09), and was a Visiting Research Professor at the University of Hong Kong (2009-2013). Among his many publications are China's Road the Korean War (1994), The China Challenge in the 21st Century: Implication of U.S. Foreign Policy (1997), and Mao's China and the Cold War (2001). He is now completing a diplomatic and political biography of Zhou Enlai.
Dr. Chen received his M.A. from Fudan University and East China Normal University in Shanghai and his Ph.D. from Southern Illinois University.
Dr. Chen was a chief faculty speaker for NEH Summer Institute, "New Sources and Findings on Cold War International History," held at The George Washington University in the summer of 1999. Dr. Chen has held fellowships from the Norwegian Nobel Institute and the Cold War International History Project.
Chinese American relations, modern Chinese history, Chinese foreign policy and security strategies
- Mao's China and the Cold War (2001)
- China's Road to the Korean War (1994)
- The Road to a Global War: A Chinese Study of the Origins of the Second World War (1989)
- "Deng Xiaoping, Mao's ‘Continuous Revolution', and the Path toward the Sino-Soviet Split" (CWIHP Bulletin 10)
- "A Crucial Step toward the Breakdown of the Sino-Soviet Alliance: The Withdrawal of Soviet Experts from China in July 1960" (CWIHP Bulletin 8-9)
- "CCP Leaders' Selected Works and the Historiography of the Chinese Communist Revolution" (CWIHP Bulletin 6-7)
- "The Sino-Soviet Alliance and China's Entry into the Korean War" (CWIHP Working Paper 1)