Wilson Center Experts
Senior Fellow & Visiting Scientist Harvard Humanitarian Initiative Harvard School of Public Health Boston & Cambridge, MA. Senior International Public Policy Scholar Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars Washington, DC. Professor (2005-2010) Adjunct Professor Department of Community Emergency Health & Paramedic Practice Monash University School of Medicine Melbourne, Australia. Clinical Professor of Surgery (Emergency Medicine), Department of Surgery & Adjunct Professor, Departments of Tropical Medicine and Public Health Sciences & Epidemiology
John A. Burns School of Medicine University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii. Senior Affiliate Faculty & Research Scientist Department of International Health & Emergency Medicine Schools of Medicine & Bloomberg School of Public Health. The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutes Baltimore, Maryland. Adjunct Professor of Emergency and Military Medicine,Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland. Elected Chair, National Disaster Life Support Consortium, American Medical Association & National Disaster Life Support Foundation, 2007- 2011.
1957-1961 B.A: Biology (cum laude) Saint Michael’s College Winooski Park, Vermont
1961-1965 M.D. University of Vermont College of Medicine Burlington, Vermont
Internship Yale-New Haven Medical Center New Haven, Connecticut
1966 -1968 Resident in Pediatrics Yale-New Haven Medical Center New Haven, Connecticut
1968 Chief Resident in Emergency and Ambulatory Services Senior Resident in Pediatrics Yale-New Haven Medical Center New Haven, Connecticut
Fellowship in Adolescent Medicine Harvard Postgraduate School of Medicine Adolescents’ Unit Children’s Hospital of Boston. Boston, Massachusetts
Master’s Degree in Public Health (MPH) University of California at Berkeley School of Public Health Berkeley, California
1975-1977 Resident in Psychiatry Dartmouth Medical School Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Hanover, New Hampshire
1988 Health Emergencies in Large Populations Course Graduate Thesis earned Diploma CRC-WHO University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
2006 Diploma in Tropical Medicine Royal College of Surgeons Dublin, Ireland
- Gryboski JD, Burkle FM, Hillman RD: “Mild Induced Colitis”, Pediatrics, Vol. 38, No. 1, August 1966, pp. 299-302.
- Burkle FM, Bravo AJ: “Asphyxiating Thoracic Dystrophy-Malformation of the Newborn, “Clin Ped, Vol. 8, 1968, pp. 165-170.
- Burkle FM: “Plague as Seen in South Vietnamese Children: A chronicle of observations and treatment under adverse conditions”, Clin Ped, Vol 12, No. 5, May 1973: 291-8
- Burkle FM: “Developmental Approach to Post-Abortion Depression (In Adolescence)”, The Practitioner, London, Vol 218, February 1977, pp. 217- 225.
- Burkle FM, Lipowski Z: “Colloid Cyst of the Third Ventricle Presenting as Psychiatric Disorder”, Amer Jour of Psych, 135:3, March 1978, pp. 373-374.
- Burkle CDR FM, Jewett LCDR C: “Standards for Training - Medical Contingency Response Units”, Navy Medicine, Vol. 72, No. 12, 1981, pp. 16- 19.
- Burkle FM: “Stress and Coping under Adverse Conditions: Implications for Disaster and Refugee Care”, Military Medicine, Vol 148, October 1983, pp. 800-803.
- Burkle FM, Rae RP, Rice MM: “Borderline Personality Disorder”, Annals of Emer Med, 14:10, October 1985, pp. 996-1001.
- Parks FB, Calabro JJ, Burkle FM: “Addisonian Crisis in an Adolescent Female: A Case Report”, Ped Emer Care, Vol 2 No. 1, March 1986, pp. 18-20.
- Calabro JJ, Robinson M, McAlpine S, Burkle FM: “Tricyclic Overdoses Revisited: Sudden Delayed Death”, Annals of Emer Med, 15:11, November 1986, pp. 1349-52.